Welcome to the pages of Social Anthropology
The sector of Social Anthropology, the most numerous of the Gruppo Storico Romano, has as its purpose the study and reconstruction of glimpses of daily life in ancient Rome consisting of all social classes, from the imperial family to the patricians, from the plebeians to slaves.
The women, as the Empress, matrons, patrician, plebeian and slaves, play a very important role in this area.
They meet on average once a week, in order to communicate ideas and exchange opinions on the studies and research carried out by each in order to expand the historical knowledge of customs and traditions related to the period of the Julio-Claudian dynasty (first century. AD).
These meetings are generally characterized by great vitality and a spirit of cooperation and friendship, stimulate the knowledge and skills of the members in different fields and, in particular, those listed below:
- Clothes. Although many women who had never been interested in textiles and sewing have learned to distinguish fabrics and natural dyes, to know and reproduce, as far as possible, the techniques of dyeing and fixing of colors, made from all that nature offered time. Thanks to reciprocal collaboration, over time all the women have become so adept to realize for themselves their costumes.
- Footwear. Even these, object of painstaking research, are reproduced with natural materials, drawing mainly paintings and sculptures of the period.
- Cosmetics. This is a field in which women have very refined knowledge and reproduced with excellent results fragrances, perfumes and cosmetics, with oils, minerals and plants, relying on the study of writers such as Pliny the Elder (Naturalis Historia) and Ovid (Medicamina faciei feminae).
- Jewels. By skilled artisans of the Association, have been reproduced rings, buckles, tiaras, bracelets, necklaces, anklets gold brass and silver, with the use of semi-precious stones.
- Hairstyles. With painstaking work the women have managed to rework hairpieces of hairstyles, as they did at the time the patients ornatrices.
- Kitchen. Women also are dedicated to research on food and drink, that they try to play with ingredients and processes specific of the time with particular regard to breads and cakes. The bread has been the subject of study for processing, the leavening, the ingredients, such as flours obtained with the various stages of grinding, from the cereals to the most refined grains in use during the period. In several demonstrations have been carried out different types of bread such as panis siligineus or candidus, the panis plebeius, Rusticus, cibarius and also many desserts, such as Globulos, the encytum, the tyropatynam, the libum and savillum.
Research has enabled the sector to reconstruct and represent some rites:
- Sponsalia (betrothal).
- Confarreatio (marriage).
- Dies lustricus (baptism).
- Funus (funeral).
The sector has reconstructed even three mythological figures: the Fates. These were the goddesses of fate, who presided over the birth, the life and death of every man. The first, Clotho spun the thread of life. The second, Lachesis, dispensed the fates, assigning one to each individual. The third, Atropos, inexorably severing the thread of life at the appointed time. These figures appear, in general, after fights between gladiators and reconstructions of battles of the Roman legion.