The Gruppo Storico Romano is a cultural non -profit organization founded in 1994 by a passion for ancient Rome. A group of friends, all sharing the same interest , decided to give the beginning of this adventure, and as the day of its establishment chose a symbolic date : April 21 , the day of the foundation of the Eternal City .
After nearly two decades of growth of the Association has been remarkable. Today, the Gruppo Storico Romano stands out in the world of ancient Rome and re-enactment is unanimously recognized as one of the leading groups in Italy and in the world .
The objectives of the Association aims are to promote, organize and support the dissemination of cultural, recreational and artistic activities, relating to the world of ancient Rome , to keep alive the splendor of its ancient civilization, but also that no secondary, to be a meeting point for all those fans that revolve around the world of ancient Rome and that, becoming members, make up the heart .
To achieve these goals the Gruppo Storico Romano:
- studies and disseminates the habits and customs of the ancient Romans , in particular those of the first centuries of the empire (I and II century AD . C. ) ;
- faithfully reconstructs costumes, weapons , armor and various objects of ancient Rome, on the basis of research carried out ;
- reconstructs military activities and gladiator , rituals , ceremonies , historical events concerning ancient Rome , making revive the spirit and emotions ;
- participate in social events and charities ( for which reason has been regularly recognized by the Lazio Region as a cultural , social promotion , non-profit and registered in the Register pursuant to Regional Law 22 /99) ;
- organizes educational meetings , both at its headquarters and outside with students of all classes , Italians and foreigners;
- organizes meetings with senior centers of the City of Rome ;
- publishes a bi-monthly magazine of culture and historical re-enactment titled ” ACTA BIMESTRIA – POPVLI ROMANS ,” distributed free of charge and sponsored by the Department of Cultural Affairs and Historical Center and the Libraries of Rome Capital , for which he has received numerous letters of appreciation from of Eminent Persons of the state and the world of culture .
- Manages the opening of the ” Ludus Magnus ” the gladiator gym close to the Colosseum , sightseeing tours and brief references to gladiator school.
The Association boasts numerous awards , among them the medals of the President of the Italian Republic , awarded on the occasion of the celebration of Christmas to Rome from 2009 to 2013, and sponsorship, including that of the Presidency of the Council of Ministers, the Lazio Region, the Province of Rome and the Capital of Rome .
The associative activity of the Gruppo Storico Romano takes place mainly at its head office , located in Via Appia Antica 18 , where there is a picturesque structure within which they have erected a small castrum with an arena in which are held events of special cultural interest and are also an interactive museum with free admission, opened in 2005 , sponsored by the Department of Cultural Affairs and Historical Center of Rome Capital and awarded a silver medal by the President of the Italian Republic , where are objects , both civilian and military , about ancient Rome , visited each year by about 10,000 students , both Italian and foreign , and an indefinite number of tourists and fans , and areas of educational and playful as well as spaces reserved for the members’ activities .
Within the association coexist different sections of recall , from that of the legionaries to that of the gladiators , vestal virgins from the Praetorian Guard , from senators to the people to finish with the dancers and the pankration , each of which investigates and explores aspects of the topics their interest in addition to the general ancient Rome. In support of this research and reconstruction , in addition to the study of historical sources , such as inscriptions and literary works , there is an intense activity of experimental archeology, based on the reconstruction , through direct experience, slices of life of the civil and military . Among those civilians we include , for example , the study of the female at the time of ancient Rome , from tricks to perfumes, from hairstyles to clothing , which he produced , for example, cultural encounters with the public at the beautiful structure of the markets of Trajan .
In the military sphere certainly stand out reconstructions of the castrum legionis . Where are rebuilt every aspect of life within the camp of the Roman legionary : from power in military training .
Among the many rituals and ceremonies reconstructed mention: the Captio Virginis (appointment of a new vestal ), the Testamentum Augusti ( delivery and safekeeping of the will of Augustus at the atrium Vestae ) , the conspiracy of Catiline , the confarreatio ( the religious marriage ) , lePalilia ( ceremony celebrating the founding of Rome ) , Ignis Vestae renovatio ( the annual lighting of the sacred fire of Vesta ) and the Honesta Missio ( leave the praetorian ) .
There is also the GLADIATORS SCHOOL of ROME, a real school , to which you can subscribe to learn the techniques of gladiatorial combat . Just the charm of Rome Gladiator School drives every year tourists and visitors, both Italian and foreign , to participate in the courses of ” Gladiator for a day ,” two intense hours during which the participants , as well as an initial introduction to the history of ancient Rome , now also be booked at the Ludus Magnus .
The most important event is the FOUNDATION OF ROME ANNIVERSARY which this year reaches TWELFTH edition and will parade in the day Monday, April 21 along Via dei Fori Imperiali about 2.000 re-enactors from 52 cultural organizations from Italy and 11 european countries.
Protocols , agreements and collaborations.
In its activities the Gruppo Storico Romano has collaborated and still collaborates with :
- Directorate General of Antiquities of the Ministry of Culture with whom he has entered into an agreement for the realization of events in commemoration of cultural and educational areas inside and museums of the Superintendence of Rome, Latium and Southern Etruria .
- Department of historical , philosophical and social and the cultural heritage of the area of the University of Rome “Tor Vergata” , with whom he signed a Memorandum of Understanding for the development of museums and archaeological sites , the realization of cultural events and reminiscent and teaching cycles disclosure of ancient Roman culture.
- Roma Capitale , for the realization of the celebration of Christmas in Rome and with whom he has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Department of Cultural Affairs and Historical Center and the Department of Educational Policies , School , Family and Youth of Rome capital.